Sunday, April 21, 2013

a city on a hill cannot be hidden

My husband, at a very young age, watched the movie, Salem's Lot. I have yet to watch this movie, mainly due to the fact that it's scary. Scary movies usually get placed in my "never-watch" box. 
Because of this "vampire" movie, Daniel carried a cross into his basement many times, just in case he needed to ward off a vampire that could possibly be staked out behind the couch.

We laugh about that.
But what he did is what we should all do every.single.day

He carried the light, the cross, the protection of Christ into the darkness.

How easy is it for you to take your light into the dark, into the scary, into the unknown?
For me, it's tough.

I like to think I have courage, but time and time again I find myself running away, right back into my safe world.

Matthew 5 reminds us that we are the light of the world and a city on a hill can not be hidden.

What's the closet city to your home?

Daniel and I are able to see the tip- top of the Bank of America tower in Charlotte from our front porch. I am reminded of God's great love when I look out on the horizon and see the airplanes flying east to west and north to south, and see that small little red light. Our city.

There is a hill immediately outside of Jerusalem's walls that hosted the most brilliant light ever known to man. A light that healed the sick, loved the poor, and came to save us. A light hung stretched, pierced and beaten. A light that died, burnt out, but shined bright days later. 

When that light left the world, he offered us a light by giving us the holy spirit. That spirit guides us through the dark, through the ugly and into the beautiful.

I don't know where you are in your walk.
But I do know that YOU were made to shine.
Start right here, right now.
Be the light. Find your city. And go get on your knees.
Boston- Waco- New York-Charlotte-San Francisco- every city in our nation needs prayer.
I leave you with a wonderful song by Toby Mac, City on our Knees.

Thanks for landing, enjoy your flight.


No comments: