Sunday, May 19, 2013

Two years later and I still haven't unpacked...

Two years ago I knew a little bit about life. I knew about building a new home, teaching kids how to read, and I knew a little bit about the country of Peru. I knew we would be visiting a village in the jungles of South America. I knew the boys at this village were abandoned by their families, left on the streets to fend for themselves. And I knew God was calling me there, whispering again and again-- "This is your time." 

Two years later. I still haven't unpacked all of my bag.
It's kinda weird. 
I just didn't.
And now I know why...

A few days ago I got my bag down from the shelf and unzipped it. 

I smiled.

Love, Hope, and Peace were still inside, right where I left them.

And next to all those three things were...

my Nike shoes, my orange pillow, and my citrus body lotion.

Each of those items carry memory and purpose.

The shoes walked into another country to serve.
The pillow gave my head a place to lay each night.
and that lotion kept me refreshed and served as a reminder of that time and place.

Peru grew me, shook me up, and changed me in ways I still don't understand.
I'll never unpack that bag because I never want to forget what happened two years ago.

What place changed you?
How did you leave different?

If you have a story, I'd love to hear it.


Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

marisa lowe said...

It's hard to nail down one place that has changed me. During my teens, I traveled to Ecuador and was surprised by how differently people live. I went to London and saw some of the sights that I only read about in books. I went to Italy, fell ill, and while hospitalized, met a wonderful Italian family who would later inspire me to name my son after one of them. Then, there is the country side in wv that is teaching me how to grow food and strong relationships. Each place has/is shaping me to be a better me. I am so grateful for these experiences. Good post Andrea:)