Sunday, March 27, 2011

Thirsty for Truth


Today's sermon was centered around John 4, which tells the story of the Woman of Samaria, known to us as The Woman at the Well. Our pastor reminded us that as Jesus was traveling into Galilee, he took a tour through the city of Samaria. He choose this path, not because it was the only path to take, but because Jesus loved ALL of the world, and HAD to go through this town to talk with its people. As he passed through, he grew thirsty. I thought more about this story when I got home from church and wanted to find more. I dug back into my Bible and then ventured onto a website called kyria.com and found an article entitled, Thirsty for Truth. Below is a part of the article that I liked. It was written by Liz Curtis Higgs. I have highlighted the parts that struck me!

We don't know her name or age. But her conversation with the Lord is his longest one-on-one chat recorded in Scripture. Reason enough to give our sister from Samaria a fresh look.

It was high noon on a hot day. Jesus, tired from traveling, chose a sensible rest stop—Jacob's well outside the town of Sychar—while waiting for his disciples to go into town for food. When our unnamed woman appeared with clay jar in hand, Jesus made a simple request: "Will you give me a drink?" (John 4:7).

Uh-oh. (1) Jews weren't supposed to speak to Samaritans. (2) Men weren't permitted to address women without their husbands present. And (3) rabbis had no business speaking to shady ladies such as this one. Jesus was willing to toss out the rules, but our woman at the well wasn't. "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman," she reminded him. "How can you ask me for a drink?" (John 4:9).

She focused on the law; Jesus focused on grace. ( As I read the Bible, this seems to be a reoccurring theme as we get to know our Jesus)

The rest of the article goes on to tell her story and talk about her gutsy, yet kind demeanor with Jesus. All in all--- I learned that our response to the Lord should be somewhat the same. We must first confront our true selves, experience his grace and share the good news with the world.

Have a blessed week. May your thirst be quenched!


No comments: