Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Black and Blue Berry Yogurt Blast (and Wheat Germ)

If you like Blackberries, raise your hand! Meeee!!!! I do, I do!
I have loved blackberries since I was a little girl. Summer mornings were always spent in the woods, tending to the blackberries before the birds enjoyed them! Mom loved to make pies and cobblers. I just liked eating blackberries.
One of my very favorite yogurts is the Blackberry Yoplait Light.
This is it below:


This morning, in my attempt to be more health conscious, I decided to kick my breakfast up a notch! I added fresh blueberries, a dollop of whip cream and a dash of wheat germ. It looked good, smelled good, and ohhh man, did it taste good! I let my husband have a little taste and he put in a request to add this to the breakfast menu. I smiled, not just because I was glad he liked it, but because I snuck in a little smidgin' of wheat germ. (He always makes fun of my wheat germ jar that I keep in the fridge).
So what about wheat germ? Has any one out there added this to their diet?

I learned about wheat germ while reading book about Eating Clean that a friend let me borrow last year. I learned that wheat germ is a part of the wheat kernel. The germ is only a very small part of the kernel. The word germ has nothing to do with bacteria; it simply refers to germination. The germ is the reproductive part that germinates and forms the wheat grass. Within this germ lies a healthy dose of daily vitamins, like Vitamin E and Potassium. It is packed with protein and antioxidants. I love it because it is an easy way to add nutritional value to a variety of foods.

How do you add nutritional value to your foods. Any secrets? Please share!


No comments: