Sunday, October 17, 2010

Simple Things

My friend Jenny, always has a way of making me realizing how "special" the simple things in life can be. She constantly reminds me of ways to turn "everyday events" into moments that we can be appreciative.
Here are a few ideas (the first one, she gave me)

1. Washing Dishes- A chore, yes, for most of us. She told me to fill my sink with warm sudsy water and light a candle by the sink. During this time, think about all of life's blessings and how God has "cleansed" us all from our sins. Remember the verse: The Lord is my light and salvation; Whom Shall I fear? Psalm 27:1


2. Doing the Laundry- Laundry seems to be a disturbance for many people. In the crazy fast world we live in, many of us would love to be able to snap our fingers and find our laundry folded neatly and ready to be put away. One way that you can attempt to enjoy your laundry experience is to make it a place that reflects cleanliness and order. Organize your detergents. I like to put mine in a glass container and I made a cute label for the front. Hang up a sign that means something to you. Remember these lyrics the next time you wash your whites: Word of God speak, would you pour down like rain. Washing my eyes to see, your majesty. To be still and know that you're in this place. Please let me stay and rest in your holiness, word of God speak.


3. Taking a Shower- Showering is an everyday routine that we usually experience in the morning and/or evening. I "must" shower every morning if I want to make it through my day. A shower refreshes and rejuvenates my tired body. For a long time, my shower experience was thoughtless. Just a time to get clean and jump out and move along in my daily schedule. I have tried to create space when I shower to pray for people and practice remembering Jesus' words from the Bible. Now this may sound silly, but it seriously gets my head in the right place, first thing in the morning. Remember the verse: Joshua 1:5- "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Let this verse sink in and remember that He is with you every step of your day.



I hope everyone has a blessed week. Find some time to change your perspective when doing the mundane, repetitive, annoying things of life. Life is what you make it!














2 comments:

Kati said...

love this :) Thanks andee!

jen said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Imagine my surprise when I click over to read your cute little blog and read my name! I'm honored! I love this post because a lot of life IS little things and I think it is important to not be so automatic that it passes us by. I once heard a story about a woman complaining about ironing her husband's shirts and an older lady who had lost her husband said, " I would give anything to have a husband to still iron for." Oh, that hit me hard! I try to be thankful for my hubby everytime I iron his shirts now. I love the idea of re-labeling laundry products-must do that! Thanks for the beautiful words and inspiration. You are wonderful!!!!!