Sunday, October 31, 2010

Humble Me....

Church was awesome today. Both Daniel and I walked out of church seriously thinking about our own lives in relation to the sermon. We read of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector in the Gospel of Luke. In this parable, two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: God, I thank you that I am not like other men --- robbers, evildoers, adulterers --- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get." But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner (Luke 18:9-14). Do you know what Jesus said about the tax collector? "I tell you that this man, rather than the other went home justified before God.

Kendell asked his congregation which of these men that we felt like we were most like... He also reminded us that we all draw lines in life.... we say this is good and unacceptable, and this is wrong and unacceptable. However, when we draw these lines, we always draw ourselves inside of them. And it's true. At least for me.
This week I am praying that God will humble me and give me the wisdom to look at others with judgement-free eyes and a loving heart. If you have time, stop and listen to this song. The song is By Addison Road called "What do I Know of Holy?" Have a blessed week everyone!

andrea

No comments: