Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Real Love Story.
















My perspective shifted a bit this weekend. Friday night, Daniel and I had the privilege of having dinner with our friends Charles and Frances Black. They are special to us. They sit in front of us at church and have always treated us like family. They have been married 65 years and have so much to share. We arrived at 6:00. The room was filled with the scent of ham, corn, fresh rolls, and pound cake. Each prepared with so much love. The conversation was slow and easy. Sweet exchanges between the two. They still teased one another, and I loved that. We heard their love story. How it began and better yet, how is was still going on. Each story offered laughs and each story left us with hope and a strong feeling of love and what it really means. I held fast to every single word. My husband said that their calm spirits, their commitment, and the time they took to share their lives with us meant so much to him. What I found most beautiful was the fact that they were still living their lives..... fully! Frances and Charles love their families and their God so much and take advantage of every day they are in this world. I hope I can always live like that. Charles spent an hour with Daniel, telling him stories of his service in WWII. He shared experiences when he served as the mayor of Mount Holly for over 20 years. He has outlived his life. Frances shared stories about her friends and all the trips she and Charles have taken. She got out her favorite recipes and shared her secrets with me. What a legacy they have left their family, their friends, their church---- their world. What if we listened more to the wisdom of this committed and hard working generation? There is so much to be learned from them.
I wonder what our love story will be? I hope it will be one worth sharing one day. In the mean time, I'm gonna keep on loving and learning! Happy Valentine's Day to all my friends! Love Y'all!









1 comment:

jen said...

My favorite Andrea-post EVER!!!! You made me want to crawl into the computer and be in the scene you described.What a nice night! Loved what Daniel said too. Such a sweet post! xoxoxo