Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Happy Birthday

"Mrs. Noles, before I open up my presents on Christmas morning, I always thank God for sending His son Jesus to the world."

I paused and let those words turn around in my mind before I responded.
A ten year old understood.
He got it.

"What a wonderful thing." I told him.
He went on to speak of presents and how they really don't matter all that much.
He was teaching me. Students have a way of doing that. Teaching the teachers.
If we are listening, that is.

He got me thinking about Christmas morning and what I will teach my little boy about this blessed time of year.
What will it mean to him?
What will his first thought of Christmas be?

This year, considering he is only 18 months, it will probably be, "I'm ready to eat, mom!"

What if we came to Christ first?
What if we sang to him?
What if we read his glorious story aloud in Luke 2?
What if we broke bread, instead of looking to see if Santa ate the cookies we left for him.
What if we just sat and paused and thanked him?

I want my son to experience the Miracle of Jesus and the Magic of Santa.
Jesus Saves.
Santa Gives.

How does your family celebrate the birth of the greatest gift we will ever know?

Our family always baked Jesus a cake and sang to him on Christmas morning.
We had to yell "Christmas Presents" before we got out of bed. A tradition passed down in our family from my great-grandmother.
Mom and Dad would turn on the Christmas music. Get the cameras ready and my brother and I would walk down the hall. That long hall, that lead us to our gifts. Bright lights flashed in our eyes, as they wanted to capture our sleepy, excited faces.
I remember that feeling joy upon the first glance of Santa's gifts to us.

May your Christmas be full of Jesus and Santa, Joy and Peace, and a New Hope.
A hope for what is to come.

Happy Birthday to my Savior.
We have a balloon and cupcakes ready for you tomorrow.







No comments: